Health & Beauty Tip – Week of April 11th
Beauty Tip- Who Has the Perfect Body?
The answer to this question is you do, you are just not dressing it right. It is not as hard as you think as long as you follow a few simple rules. I recommend a book called The Science of Sexy by Bradley Bayou a celebrity stylist. This is a great book because it is easy to understand and follow.
The first part of the book has a section where you learn how to take correct measurements of your body and then using those measurements you determine your body type (very easy to do).
Once you have done that you go to the section of the book that addresses your body type. He tells you in that section what to wear and why and also what not to wear and why with great illustrations.
The foundation of the book boils down to two simple things: dress to balance your body and learn to conceal your flaws and reveal your assets. The book is not really about dressing sexy but dressing your body to create proportion and highlight your assets.
He also explains how to build a wardrobe. You can order this book off Amazon. It will save you time and money when shopping.
Health Tip- Sleep and Weight Loss
Studies have shown that those who sleep less than 6 hours a night have high levels of ghrelin, a hormone that increases appetite and is associated with obesity. Those that sleep less than 5 hours a night are 3 times as likely to suffer a heart attack.
Sleep deprivation is also linked to Type II diabetes. Ironically, those that sleep more than 9 hours suffer the same risks as those who are sleep deprived.
Most people need between 7-9 hours of actual sleep. Here are a few sleep tips:
(1) You should have lights out and be in bed between 9:30-10:30 pm.
(2) If you can’t sleep don’t lay there. Get up and read or do something but don’t watch TV or work on the computer or any electronic device. The light from these devices stimulates the pineal gland (this gland helps to regulate sleep)
(3) Sleep in as dark a room as you can. Cover up indicator lights from the cable box, phone, clock, etc. These lights also stimulate the pineal gland and this interferes with sleep.
(4) Establish a time to go to bed and get up every day (even weekends) and stick to it.
(5) If your mind is racing and you can’t sleep, try counting backwards from 200 in increments of 3. The math is not too difficult but enough to where you have to think thereby taking your mind off those racing thoughts.
Green Tip- Slow Down
Driving 10 mph above 60 is like adding nearly 50 cents to the price of a gallon of gas, since higher speed equals more guzzling. Help the planet and your wallet by slowing down.
Dental Tip- Oral Cancer Awareness Month
April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month. Every hour of every single day someone dies from Oral Cancer. 35,000 new cases are diagnosed every year.
Think only alcohol and tobacco users are at risk? Think again.
Young adults are the fastest rising group of oral cancer due to its link to the HPV virus.
To help raise awareness, Dr. Camacho will be doing free oral cancer screenings on April 15th from 1-4 pm at his brand new office located at 16535 Huebner Rd St 102, 78248. He will be using a special light called the Velscope. It can detect abnormalities before they can be seen by the naked eye.
Anyone is welcome to come in and get screened. Call today for your appointment 493-9944.
To get your weekly Health, Beauty and Green Tips via e-mail, please fill in the sign-up form to the right. We respect your privacy and will never share your e-mail address with any third party.