Beauty Tip- Sorting out Recent Data on Sunscreens
In case you haven’t heard, too much sun can lead to cellular damage and that translates into skin cancer and aging skin. Now that summer is in full swing we are spending more time in the sun and we all know that wearing sunscreen is recommended by Dermatologists. Trying to figure out which sunscreen is the best and also avoiding harmful chemicals can be challenging and the data can be overwhelming.
Here are a few simple tips that will help you to sort things out:
- Stick with SPF 30-Higher SPF’s are no more effective and can give you a false sense of security.
- It should be effective against UVA and UVB rays. The UV stands for ultraviolet radiation and both types are responsible for skin cancer, aging, cataracts and suppression of the immune system in high doses.
- It should not contain oxybenzene or retinyl palmitate. Oxybenzene is a hormone disruptor. Hormone disruptors can mimic hormones and cause cells to over produce or under produce a hormone for instance or cause a cell to respond at inappropriate times. Retinyl palmitate (synthetic topical Vitamin A) has been linked to an increased risk in skin cancer.
- Avoid sprays, pumps and powders since these can be inhaled.
- Use a natural SPF like Zinc or titanium and apply every 2 hours. The main complaint is that these can leave a whitish residue but this does not bother me personally.
Here are a few that are recommended: Burnout Clean and Clear Zinc oxide and can be ordered from www.brenditasbodyworks.com , I use this one personally and I like it. Episencial Sunny Sunscreen can be ordered at amazon and California Baby No Fragrance SPF 30 which can be purchased at Target.
Health Tip- Fighting Fatigue with D-Ribose
I have never heard anyone say, “Gee, I wish I did not have so much energy!” Everyone wants to have more energy. Unfortunately, most rely on caffeine to give them the boost they so desperately need every day.
The problem with this is too much caffeine creates other problems like interfering with sleep which in turn leads to more fatigue. Lack of sleep increases cortisol which is a hormone responsible for weight gain. There is a natural supplement called…
Green Tip- Sunscreens Take a Toll on Our Environment
This tip ties in with my beauty tip since choosing a sunscreen that is not full of harmful chemicals is kinder to our eco-systems. Biodegradable sunscreens are required by some aquatic nature parks since they are less harmful to the environment.
Dental Tip- Separating Fact from Fiction
Myth: My gums always bleed so that is normal.
Fact: Bleeding gums are a sign of gum disease even if no other symptoms are present. They can also be a sign of more serious health problems such as leukemia or diabetes.
Don’t ignore bleeding gums just because “they always bleed” or “my teeth don’t hurt.” Only advanced gum disease starts to hurt and will result in tooth loss. Get your teeth cleaned and checked regularly (every 6 months for most) to avoid unnecessary expense and problems.
Medical Disclaimer: The information provided in this publication is for informational purposes, and is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.